If you are applying for Associate Membership, please read the “Associate Membership in MTVFD” document prior to following the steps below. If you are applying for Full Membership, this is not necessary.
- Fill out the membership application form. This will be submitted online to MTVFD. After your membership application form is submitted, you will contacted by Human Resources to arrange an interview. Applicants for Associate Member will require that MTVFD’s Chief contact the Chief of your current department for an evaluation.
- Obtain the required background checks. You will be reimbursed for any application fess. If any or all these clearances were obtained within the past 5 years for another volunteering position or employment, you may use them in lieu of a new check. All background clearances must be renewed every 5 years.
- Obtain a PA State Police Pennsylvania Access to Criminal History (PATCH) clearance. Select “volunteer” as the reason for applying and the application fee should be waived. The document will be provided to you immediately at the end of this step’s process.
- If you have been a resident of Pennsylvania for less than 10 years, an FBI criminal background check is also required. Obtain an FBI Identity History Summary Check. As part of this, you will require to supply fingerprints. This is described on the FBI application webpage. You will have to pay for this, but will be reimbursed by MTVFD. The document will be processed in 3 to 5 business days after this step’s process is completed by you.
- Obtain PA Child Abuse History Clearance from the PA Department of Human Services. Select “volunteer” as the reason for applying and the application fee should be waived. This step takes 2+ weeks.
- When all required clearances are obtained, make a copy of each to provide to MTVFD Human Resources. These documents are confidential and will be appropriately secured.
- If you wish to drive MTVFD vehicles, you must obtain a PA Driver History from the PA DMV. Click on the blue “Driver History” box and follow the instructions. You will have to pay for this, but will be reimbursed by MTVFD. The document will be provided to you immediately at the end of this step’s process.
- Applicants who are intending to become Brigade members are required to undergo a medical fitness check. You may have to pay for this, but will be reimbursed by MTVFD.
Do not complete this step until you are sworn in. If you are not accepted for membership, you will not be reimbursed for the medical examination. (You will, however, be reimbursed for the background checks, even if not accepted.)
- Applicants for Associate Member must be approved by one of the MTVFD Chief Officers. This will involve the Chief Officer contacting the Chief at your current department for a recommendation.
- If Human Resources or its designate recommends you for membership, you will be given an opportunity to meet the Board of Directors at its next regularly scheduled meeting. The Board will then vote on your application.
- If approved, your membership will be voted on by the entire MTVFD membership at the next regularly scheduled meeting. If approved, you will be sworn in at that meeting
- Newly sworn in members will be contacted via email and provided with your MTVFD username and password. Further instructions, described in the steps below, will be included in the email.
- To login, click on the “MTVFD Member Login” menu item. Use the username and password that we provided to you. If you login successfully, you wlll land on the “MTVFD Members Home” page. This is the gateway to the portion of the website restricted to our members. It is recommended that you change you password after you initial login.
- Click on the New “Members button” where you will guided through the required new member process.